While being an adult is great, it comes with a few downsides: responsibilities like work, bills, and laundry. It is easy to put everyone else’s needs above your own– society can make you feel like you’re a horribly selfish person if you don’t. I argue that sometimes you need to take care of yourself before you can care for others. Just like in the Airplane Safety videos you see (or rather ignore) on every flight you’ve ever taken, you need to put on your own proverbial oxygen mask before helping others put on theirs. If you’re totally depleted emotionally and mentally, you can’t be your best for the people who matter the most to you. Here are some simple and quick ways to add some self care to your day to help you recharge and refresh.
- Enjoy a cup of coffee (or tea). No, like, really enjoy it. Don’t just guzzle it down while mindless scrolling through Facebook. Take your cup of coffee somewhere quiet, put down your phone and have a moment. Be present– taste the flavor of the roast, smell that sanctified coffee smell, feel the warmth of the mug in your hands. A few minutes spent in a mindful moment helps you feel refreshed and connected to your life in the present.
- Shower Power It is a truth universally acknowledged that a person should shower daily. So take this part of your routine and make it a time you enjoy. Use shower gel in a scent that relaxes you, turn on some music and enjoy a few minutes to yourself.
- Go for a walk. Whether you spend your days cooped up in an office toiling over a computer or chasing littles around your house, a bit of sunshine and fresh air can lift your mood and give you clarity. Take a moment to get outside and go for a walk– even if it is just to the corner. Pay attention to the sights and sounds around you.
- Reach out (to a real person). Even in today’s social media society, it is easy to feel isolated. We are more connected than ever, but also lonelier than ever. This is proof that “liking” someone’s status doesn’t have the same benefits as having a real conversation with them. Call up a friend, catch up and make some plans for some face-to -face fun. New in town or in need of some new friends? Find a MeetUp group that matches your interests and go to their next event.
- Food for Fuel. When you eat like crap, you are going to feel like crap. As much as I would love to eat sugar-laden treats all day, I know that eating like that will give me a migraine. When I eat healthy, I feel stronger and happier. A simple way to perform some self care today is to buy some fresh fruits, veggies and some lean protein a the grocery store. Too busy to get to the store? Have them delivered from Instacart. Cook up a simple meal (bake a chicken breast and saute some spinach). Or slice up some veggies and fruit to enjoy as snacks through out the week. Just a little prep will reap great rewards for your mood and health.
I hope these simple tips help you incorporate a little self-care into your day. To do and be your best, you need to take care of you. Let me know if you use any of these tips in the comments.