Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you know that you need to be drinking more water. Almost all aspects of our health can be improved by drinking more water– increased water intake helps you maintain a healthy weight, keeps you regular (if ya know what I mean), decreases headaches and helps your skin looks its best.
But, if you’re anything like me: drinking the recommended amount of water seems impossible. I mean, am I just supposed to sit around drinking water all day? I have a life, people!
All joking aside, during my pregnancy I have increased the amount of water I drink per my doctor’s orders. I’ve found some simple ways to drink more water– check them out below.
- Start the day with a glass of water
- Before you have any coffee – even before you check your phone, start the day off with a glass of water. It’s an easy way to get a jump on meeting your daily hydration needs. Make a glass of water part of your morning routine.
- Make you water bottle your sidekick
- Keeping a water bottle with you through out the day makes it easy to drink more water. It’s convenient and better for the environment than disposable plastic bottles. I bought a cute water bottle on Etsy (check it out here) and fill it through out the day. Plus, the cuteness of the water bottle add as a little fun to my day.
- Enjoy some sparkling water
- When you’re craving a little something bubbly, try sparkling water instead of soda. I drink La Croix– it comes in tons of favors that make drinking water fun. For a more budget friendly option, most grocery stores have their own brand of sparkling water available at a lower cost.
- Add some limes and lemons
- I’ll admit it, drinking water all the time can get a little boring. Water has no taste. To combat this, buy bag of lemons or limes at the grocery store. At home, wash and cut your lemons and store them in a resealable container in the refrigerator. Through out the week, you can easily grab a lemon slice to add a bit of flavor to your H2O.
- Try a mug of hot water
- To know me is to know my sincere and complete love of coffee. I could drink it all day, everyday. When I became pregnant, my doctor told me to cut back on the caffeine. What is a coffee addict of Gilmore Girls proportions to do? I started replacing hot mugs of coffee with hot mugs of water. Part of the allure of a cup of coffee is the comfort of the warm mug in your hands– so replace the hot coffee with hot water. You’ll find some comfort and relaxation in every cup.
Are you interesting in learning more about how much water you should be drinking in a day? Talk to your doctor about what they recommend. In the mean time, you can check out this article from the Mayo Clinic to learn more.
Stay Positive and Hydrated!
Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional. This blog post contains suggestions for living a healthier life that have worked for me. The tips in this post should not replace any advice given to you by your doctor. Always talk to your doctor before implementing new diet changes.